1- What is MSC?
2- Why is it necessary the MSC Certification?
Fish products which comply with MSC standard for sustainable and well managed fisheries can carry MSC Ecolabel. This market incentive encourages fisheries to voluntarily seek MSC certification, which directly influences their management.
MSC Ecolabel highlights good fishing practices and provides consumers the certainty that they are not contributing to the over-fishing problem. Besides, it offers seafood consumers real information and the power to have a real influence through their purchasing decisions.
3- What is the meaning of MSC Ecolabel?
All products carrying the Ecolabel also have the following statement: 'This product comes from a fishery that complies with the environmental standard of the Marine Stewardship Council for well-managed and sustainable fisheries.'
With this information, consumers know that buying products which carry MSC Ecolabel they support healthier seas and environments.
4- What general aspects of a fishery does MSC program evaluate?
- Fishery stocks, ecosystems and healthy environments.
- Effective legal systems and fishery management plans.
- Surveillance and monitoring of fishing activities.
- Environmentally friendly fishing methods.
- Use of quotas and catch limits for different species.
- Socially responsible fisheries which take into account the needs of involved communities.
- Economic and commercial aspects.
- Consideration of the objective points of view of all parties involved in the fishery.
5- Who evaluates the fishery?
The team prepares a Preliminary Report that is commented with the applicant, the external reviewers and the general public. OIA’s Certification Committee evaluates the information and allows the Full Report which results in a certification decision.
6- How long does it take to obtain MSC Certification?
- Pre-evaluation: 1 to 9 months.
- Full assessment: Between 12 and 24 months if there are no objections, depending on the complexity of the fishery. The average time for certified fisheries is 14-18 months.
7- Is the Certification Report of public access?
8- Does MSC certification apply to aquaculture products?
The MSC evaluation process applies to natural sea and freshwater fisheries.